The beginnings of Oberwaid spa centre in Switzerland go back to 1845 when naturopath and pharmacist Dr Theodor Hahn set up a “water cure centre” in Untere Waid. Three years later, Dr Hahn went on to establish the Oberwaid spa centre. From 1931 until 2008, “The Oberwaid” – as it was known – was run along Christian (Franciscan) lines by an order of nuns called the Baldegg Sisters.
Partial demolition in November 2012 created room for the new “Oberwaid – Spa Hotel & Private Clinic” with its impressive spectacularly designed exterior. Out of respect for the property’s history, architect Carlos Martinez left a number of features intact, including the groves of trees in the park-like grounds and the Grotto of our Lady in the forested area.