Originally developed by the National Wellness Institute, this interdependent model, commonly referred to as the Six Dimensions of Wellness, provides the focal elements from which wellness underpins.
Definition of Wellness
The meaning of wellness has been applied in many ways. There might be different views on what wellness encompasses, but the National Wellness Institute–along with the help of leaders in health and wellness–shared many interpretations and models of wellness.
Through this discussion, there appears to be general agreement that:
- Wellness is a conscious, self-directed and evolving process of achieving full potential
- Wellness is multidimensional and holistic, encompassing lifestyle, mental and spiritual well-being, and the environment
- Wellness is positive and affirming
The definition of wellness, long used by the National Wellness Institute is consistent with these tenets. Wellness is an active process through which people become aware of, and make choices toward, a more successful existence.
Applying Wellness In Day to Day Life
By applying the Six Dimensional Model, a person becomes aware of the interconnectedness of each dimension and how they contribute to healthy living. This holistic model explains:
- How a person contributes to their environment and community, and how to build better living spaces and social networks
- The enrichment of life through work, and its interconnectedness to living and playing
- The development of belief systems, values, and creating a world-view
- The benefits of regular physical activity, healthy eating habits, strength and vitality as well as personal responsibility,self-care and when to seek medical attention
- Self-esteem, self-control, and determination as a sense of direction
- Creative and stimulating mental activities, and sharing your gifts with others
Applying a wellness approach can be useful in nearly every human endeavour. As a pathway to optimal living, wellness is being applied to related fields, such as health promotion and holistic health, and has seen a growth in “helping professions” including counselling and medical arts and practices. At the Oberwaid Resort, our practioners focus on overall health and well being as part of our efforts in creating healthy and positive environments for our guests.
Our qualified and experienced Doctors in Switzerland provide the perfect tools and consultations in order for all seeking to improve there wellness and general health the best possible start.
Please visit our Wellness Clinic to book your consultation or to find out more.